April 29, 2010

To Your Health (or Mine)


I've been trying to kick this cold for a week now, but it's really dug its heels in and won't budge.  And this blustery crisp weather outside seems to be my cold's co-conspirator, perpetuating the sniffles and sneezes.  If it weren't for all the flowering plants and insane amounts of pollen floating around outside I'd be confused and say it's actually autumn.  But no, it's spring, and I'm sick.  Well this is me putting my foot down, telling this cold to hit the road, I'm giving you the old heave ho, beat it!  We've had our time curled up under blankets with movies and naps and books, it's time to move on.

And that steaming bowl of soup up there?  That is how I'm moving on.  It isn't a traditional miso soup since I didn't start with dashi (a Japanese broth flavored with kombu and bonito flakes) instead I used some nori that I crumbled up to form a flavor base, and I think it worked quite well. For an extra healthy punch - and because I planned to make a meal of the soup - I threw in some kale and mushrooms too.  15 minutes and minimal effort later, I had my get-better-soon-soup.

Here's to the road of recovery!


Miso Soup 
Adapted from various sources around the web

4 servings

4 cups water
1 tablespoon crumbled nori
1/2 bunch of kale, chopped
handful of mushrooms, chopped
7 oz silken tofu, cut into small cubes
3 tablespoons shiro miso paste
1-2 green onions, thinly sliced



In a medium size pan bring water and crumbled nori to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add kale and mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes more. Add tofu and turn off the heat.

Put the miso paste into a separate bowl and ladle in some of the hot broth. With a fork or small whisk, dissolve the paste into the broth and pour back into soup. If necessary, reheat over a low flame to just under boiling. Serve topped with sliced green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment