March 16, 2011

Checking In

Things have been crazy in this little corner of the world.  I'm right in the thick of mid-terms and D has been flying all over the place interviewing for grad school.  It must seem on the contrary, with posting slowing to the slightest trickle, but let me assure you, when I get a moment to breath, I've got several delicious recipes to share.  Until then, here's an update of what's been going on.


I'm continually falling in love with my Saturday market each weekend that creeps closer to full blown spring time.  This past weekend I brought home some real all stars.  The spinach from Sage Mountain is incredible; sweet and toothsome, I'm convinced that the stuff they sell in grocery stores doesn't deserve the same name.  The blueberries from Pudwill, fava beans from Maciel & Family and the inevitable stop at Taste to pick up a delicious Ossau Iraty cheese.  Romenesco from Suzie's and a Fuerte avocado from Schaner Farms rounds out the green bounty.  And last, but certainly not least, honey from Swiss Mountain.  This is truly some of the yummiest wildflower honey I've tasted with deep caramel and floral flavors, I'm addicted.


This past Sunday, a friend hosted a farm-to-table potluck with about 12 other ladies.  We were all instructed to bring a dish featuring ingredients from our garden or from the farmer's market.  I may not have a garden - hello apartment living! - but I sure can shop a farmer's market, so I threw this together with some of Saturday's finds.  I used about a cup each of freshly shelled fava beans and English peas, that I blanched for 2 minutes then added to that a handful of spinach, julienned and 4 thinly sliced radishes.  Tossed it with the juice of 1/2 a lemon, a little salt and pepper and freshly shaved Romano cheese and declared it finished.  Light, bright and very much the flavors of spring.


And in a drastic change of eating scenery, I give you doughnuts.  While D has been flying up and down the West coast, interviewing for grad school, he always manages to return with a little surprise for me.  From San Fransisco it was Sightglass coffee, Seattle was another bag of coffee beans from Stumptown (coffee snobs, much?) and yesterday it was this lovely box of sugary goodness, direct from Portland via Voodoo Doughnuts.  Bacon Maple Bar, anyone?  That thing is delish!  Then there's the Old Dirty Bastard (chocolate frosting, oreos and peanut putter), The Maple Blazer Blunt (maple frosting, red sprinkles), Portland Cream and Captain my Captain (with Captain Crunch, obvs).  I'm not a huge doughnut fan, usually, but I can make exceptions and that maple bacon combination makes me weak in the knees.

{...we now return to regularly scheduled studying.}

No comments:

Post a Comment